Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: I'm running my 604's at a crossover point of 1150.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member cradeldorf's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 16th, 2010
    Location
    Muskegon Mi.
    Posts
    1,334
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

    Re: I'm running my 604's at a crossover point of 1150.

    A buddy stopped over today and confirmed that they sound better than he's ever heard. Like I said over on AK if a 515 is indeed what the woofer section is, they are rated at 20-1000hz why they mated that with a horn that shouldn't be driven below 1600 is beyond me. Juniper All I'm gonna say is mine go well into the ear splitting level without batting an eye. I can almost hear them laughing.
    Don they sound much more like they should this way.

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member zelgall's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 25th, 2002
    Posts
    302
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: I'm running my 604's at a crossover point of 1150.

    I've read that 604 E to the last sectoral before the CD types were only providing driver loading to about 1900 Hz but the Altec standard Xover is 1600 Hz

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member cradeldorf's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 16th, 2010
    Location
    Muskegon Mi.
    Posts
    1,334
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

    Re: I'm running my 604's at a crossover point of 1150.

    Quote Originally Posted by zelgall View Post
    I've read that 604 E to the last sectoral before the CD types were only providing driver loading to about 1900 Hz but the Altec standard Xover is 1600 Hz
    I could never grasp the concept of loading since the phragm is barely moving in the first place and then every bit of air it is moving has to pass through 3 little human hair sized slits in the phase plug?
    I can't imagine I could load the horn if I put my lips on the phase plug and blew as hard as I could. That is if my definition of loading means building some kind of back pressure from the air trapped in the horn tube and horn assembly itself. I would surely think the phase plug is what provides loading if there is to be any.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cradeldorf; April 29th, 2013 at 01:46 AM.

  4. #4
    HB Super Moderator
    I'm running my 604's at a crossover point of 1150.


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,262
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: I'm running my 604's at a crossover point of 1150.

    Quote Originally Posted by cradeldorf View Post
    I could never grasp the concept of loading since the phragm is barely moving in the first place and then every bit of air it is moving has to pass through 3 little human hair sized slits in the phase plug?
    Think of the diaphragm that is like a tuning fork.When you wrap on the edge of the tuning fork it puts out a lot of sound but you won't see it moving much.It is the tremendous amount of vibrations in such a short time that creates the output or (SPL).Or something like that.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member cradeldorf's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 16th, 2010
    Location
    Muskegon Mi.
    Posts
    1,334
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

    Re: I'm running my 604's at a crossover point of 1150.

    Quote Originally Posted by Altec Best View Post
    Think of the diaphragm that is like a tuning fork.When you wrap on the edge of the tuning fork it puts out a lot of sound but you won't see it moving much.It is the tremendous amount of vibrations in such a short time that creates the output or (SPL).Or something like that.
    Okay, that draws a better picture in my head. Thanks.

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member
    I'm running my 604's at a crossover point of 1150.


    alancohen's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 26th, 2012
    Location
    Hunterdon Cty, NJ
    Posts
    684
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

    Re: I'm running my 604's at a crossover point of 1150.

    I still haven't built my XOs yet. After reading this thread I might try bi-amping my 604Ds with my Behringer DCX2496 first. Problem is I don't have enough amps and don't want to cannibalize my daily system to experiment. I might build another one of these: Transcendent Sound Cathode Follower Tube Amp and use it along with the one I have running my BR TV system to play with the 604s. They are a really sweet 3W/ch and I think I had around $500 all up into the scratch build of the first one. That's pretty cheap for a pure SE tubey.

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member cradeldorf's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 16th, 2010
    Location
    Muskegon Mi.
    Posts
    1,334
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

    Re: I'm running my 604's at a crossover point of 1150.

    I stuffed the crossover back inside the cabinet today, then uncovered the front vent and put the full backs on. A different buddy stopped over and I let him have it with them....He was pretty much awestruck at how they sounded. It's fun sending them home like that. Funny thing is that he was over a month ago when they were sounding horrible. He approved that they were 1000's of times better now.
    Last edited by cradeldorf; May 8th, 2013 at 07:54 PM.

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member
    I'm running my 604's at a crossover point of 1150.


    Alien_Shore's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 25th, 2012
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    750
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

    Re: I'm running my 604's at a crossover point of 1150.

    Quote Originally Posted by alancohen View Post
    I still haven't built my XOs yet. After reading this thread I might try bi-amping my 604Ds with my Behringer DCX2496 first. Problem is I don't have enough amps and don't want to cannibalize my daily system to experiment. I might build another one of these: Transcendent Sound Cathode Follower Tube Amp and use it along with the one I have running my BR TV system to play with the 604s. They are a really sweet 3W/ch and I think I had around $500 all up into the scratch build of the first one. That's pretty cheap for a pure SE tubey.
    Alan,
    does the transcendent plan come with a BOM? If so would you mind sharing? I'm thinking about building another tube amp and this one looks promising.
    - Mike

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member amandarae's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 12th, 2008
    Posts
    259
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: I'm running my 604's at a crossover point of 1150.

    Quote Originally Posted by alancohen View Post
    I still haven't built my XOs yet. After reading this thread I might try bi-amping my 604Ds with my Behringer DCX2496 first. Problem is I don't have enough amps and don't want to cannibalize my daily system to experiment. I might build another one of these: Transcendent Sound Cathode Follower Tube Amp and use it along with the one I have running my BR TV system to play with the 604s. They are a really sweet 3W/ch and I think I had around $500 all up into the scratch build of the first one. That's pretty cheap for a pure SE tubey.

    You should check out TubeLab SE and Tubelab SE as well. You can build the amps at almost the same cost($500, or much much more depending on parts and transformers use), but the SSE can use 5881, 6550, KT66, EL-34, 6L6. I built several amps, and to me the Tubelab is the closest sounding Triode strapped Pentode SE amp to a true DHT SET amp using 45,2A3, and 300B(all of which I have). Excellent sounding with my Altec drivers. I am not affiliated to Tubelab by any means, just making a suggestion.

    My amps
    http://imageshack.us/a/img9/853/tubelabamps058.jpg SE(581/300B) on the left, SSE(using EL34) at the right.



    Abe
    Last edited by amandarae; May 9th, 2013 at 06:09 PM. Reason: add text
    QNME In Retro!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28236960 times.